Ideal for disability support workers, support coordinators and newly graduated health professionals, this training will help you gain an understanding of Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD)!
The presenter, Laura, is an Occupational Therapist with a diagnosis of BPD. She is currently completing her PhD in finding meaningful ways to work with people with a diagnosis of BPD.
Laura runs a private practice and has worked and advocated within the BPD realm for the past 5 years.
Why take this training course?
- BPD is a misunderstood diagnosis. This misunderstanding can lead to difficult situations where you may not understand the clients needs and goals.
- Take a proactive step to training your staff and to understand what is BPD, including its symptoms, behaviours and ways to work collaboratively.
- BPD clients represent are large proportion of clients within all mental health settings including emergency departments, inpatients, outpatient and community settings. Therefore contributing to a large proportion of the clients you may treat on your caseload.
- Many therapists working in mental health burn out quickly. Promote your own wellbeing and health by gaining knowledge on how to cope and manage stressful situations
What you will learn?
- Develop an understanding of the symptoms of BPD and how these behaviours impact everyday functioning
- Explore client-centred strategies for building a rapport and working with BPD
- Learn from lived experienced experts about how they manage to build a life worth living with BPD
- Learn safety and harm minimization strategies
- Explore relevant intervention approaches for people with BPD
- Challenge misconceptions and any beliefs you may hold towards working with BPD
- Become more comfortable towards working with people with BPD
- Discuss strategies for promoting family centred care
- Identifying strategies to look after your own wellbeing.
These online training webinars will be held over Zoom, group and organisation booking is also available.
Occupational Therapy (OT) students: There is a 10% discount for OT students. Just let Laura know when you book in a spot!
July 1st, 2021
More dates TBC
Other types of BPD-focused webinars and training can be found here
- June 9th, 2021
- June 15th, 2021
Attendees of June 9th and June 15th BPD training webinars:
“I thank Laura for sharing her experience and knowledge. I have learned so much and gained so much understanding. I am sure my clients will really benefit from this”
“Great training, I have a better understanding of BPD”
“I think the information was really clearly presented”
“Loved it and the interaction elements”
“Laura gave really good tips for providing support as support workers”
“Loved the safety plan, the distress strategies, the hospital bag and I will be asking my client the reason they got up this morning and a thing they like themselves”
“I really valued being able learn from Laura’s lived experience. Really wonderful resources and I feel like I have a better base level understanding of BPD”
“I have learned so much listening to Laura’s lived experience! I loved how she explained how she felt. I loved listening to her poem…”