Laura is a passionate Occupational Therapist (Bachelor Research Honours), Educator and Researcher. Laura is completing her Doctorate studies in the use of creative arts and Borderline Personality Disorder.
PhD – Doctoral Studies
Project: “The lived experience of people with a diagnosis of Borderline Personality Disorder.”
- Expertise in completing scoping reviews which evaluate and explore best practices within creative interventions for people living with mental illness in the community.
- Exceptional qualitative research methods skills, including formulating research designs, obtaining ethical clearance, in-depth interviewing, analysis and reporting.
- Sensitive nature to interview clinicians and consumers on various mental illness topics.
- 2019-2022 Community Participatory Project Ongoing – In partnership with Monash University
2016-2022 Monash University Teacher and Academic
- Experienced in providing mental health theory and practice skills to Bachelor and Masters Monash Occupational Therapy students.
Contributions of Lived Experience Research
- 2021 Contributed to developing and delivering the ‘My Allied Health Space’ as a consumer and therapist expert. https://www.myalliedhealthspace.org
- 2019 Long-Term Romantic Relationships with People with Borderline Personality Disorder (Deakin)
- 2019 Service dogs (Monash University)
Publications (previously known as Thyer)
- Brown, T. & Thyer, L. (2019). The convergent validity of the Children’s Leisure Assessment Scale (CLASS) and Children’s Assessment of Participation and Enjoyment and Preferences for Activities of Children (CAPE/PAC). Scandinavian Journal of Occupational Therapy, 27:5, 349-363, DOI: 10.1080/11038128.2019.1672784
- Lalor, A., Yu, M., Brown, T., & Thyer, L. (2019). Occupational therapy international undergraduate students’ perspectives on the purpose of practice education and what contributes to successful practice learning experiences. British Journal of Occupational Therapy, 82(6), 367–375. DOI: 10.1177/0308022618823659
- Roe, D., Brown, T., & Thyer, L. (2019). Validity, Responsiveness, and Perceptions of Clinical Utility of the Canadian Occupational Performance Measure When Used in a Sub-Acute Setting. Disability and Rehabilitation, 42:19, 2772-2789, DOI: 10.1080/09638288.2019.1573934
- Thyer, L., Brown, T., & Roe, D. (2019) Client and Therapist Perspectives of the Canadian Occupational Performance Measure (COPM) in Sub-Acute Rehabilitation Settings. New Zealand Journal of Occupational Therapy.
- Yu, M., Brown, T., & Thyer, L. (2018) The association between undergraduate occupational therapy students’ listening and interpersonal skills and their performance on practice education placements. Scandinavian Journal of Occupational Therapy.
- Thyer, L., Brown, T., & Roe, D. (2018). The validity of the Canadian Occupational Performance Measure (COPM) when used in a sub-acute rehabilitation setting with older adults. Occupational Therapy in Health Care, 1-17. doi: 10.1080/07380577.2018.1446233
- Yu. M., Brown, T., White, C., Marston, C., & Thyer, L. (2017). The impact of undergraduate occupational therapy students’ interpersonal skills on their practice education performance: A pilot study. Australian Occupational Therapy Journal. doi: 10.1111/1440-1630.12444
- Ludowyke, L., Lentin, P., & Brown, T. (Submitted-2022). The use of creative acts, activities, behaviours and occupations amongst people with a mental illness living in the community. Journal of Occupational Science.
- Ludowyke, L., Lentin, P., & Brown, T. (2021). The Use of Creative Activities in the Daily Lives of People with a Mental Health Diagnosis Living in the Community: A Scoping Study. Occupational Therapy Australia, 29th National Conference and Exhibition, June 2021
- Thyer, L., Brown, T., & Roe, D. (2018). The validity of the Canadian Occupational Performance Measure (COPM) when used in a sub-acute rehabilitation setting with older adults. Perth, Occupational Therapy Australia Conference. July 2016
Australian Occupational Therapy Journal’s Top 20 Downloaded Articles 2017-2018